About Me

Thursday 11 February 2016

Welcome To Unemployment

Song of the day: Keeping Your Head Up - Birdy

Happy Chinese New Year/ Gong Xi Fa Cai to everyone across the world!

Wow two posts in one week. You lucky people.

From last Friday I have officially declared myself as unemployed. I was working in a job that I did not want. Like most people who live in big never-ending cities, the working world is split in two. The first half are actually doing something they love or are working on the verge of something they love and getting paid for it and the other half are working just to make ends meet. You're content. You're fine. But not really happy.

Image by me - Taupo, New Zealand
Don't get me wrong, I loved working my two jobs last year. It was a fun period in my life. Straight out of uni and off I dived into the world of promo and cloakroom life. Yes they're not the best jobs in the world. I mean I was handing out flyers and free samples with promo majority of the time. However with promo I did get to work at some fun music events from time to time, which made it worth doing. Then in the evening I would be taking peoples coats and bags and dealing with unpleasant drunkards in the cloakroom. Men and women of London who are drunken douchebags, seriously sort yourselves out. I don't care if you're drunk, it is no excuse to turn into horrible human beings to everyone who works within hospitality. You're not Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.

Anyways, those jobs paid the bills, rent, my debaucherous lifestyle at the time and also my travels. Also to top it off my jobs were incredibly flexible. But I knew I was not ready for a steady 9-5 job. It wasn't the work I enjoyed, it was the people. I have met the most incredible people last year and have made lifelong friendships. They made work tolerable. They made coming to work enjoyable. I couldn't wait to get to work at times. I would not take a damn thing back.

However after the endless drinking, parties, coming home from work at 5 in the morning, getting the first train from work or the night bus and handing out those last flyers. I realised that it's not enough. I was working a promo job the other week. It was a gym campaign. It was pouring down with rain and it just hit me. I am done. I could not do it anymore. The money is easy and it pays pretty well but that was it for me. If I didn't leave now I would be stuck.

So after I declared my unemployment last Friday, I did what had to be done. I went on a 3 day drinking bender. I drank my whole weekend and it was glorious. To be fair there was celebrations all over that weekend, my unemployment, the start of the six nations and my lovely friend's birthday. Now after the weekend I went straight into job-hunting this week.

You what I typed into Google? "Jobs. London." I wanted to see what was out there. I saw jobs for a cake shop assistant, reception work, Uber drivers and much more. The world is my playground and I can do what I want with it.  However I am not asking for stability. I am trying to get back into the thing I loved most. To write. To create. To tell stories. It may take a longer time but I have faith in the universe. I believe that if it's meant to be then it will happen. After all it is the year of the Monkey, my birth year. I'm sure fate has something nice in store for me somewhere. Until then I have to get my ass into gear and try to get there myself. It is my life and nothing can change unless I do something about it. Who knows where it'll take me? I'll keep you posted.

Sending good vibes to you all,

Cheers,
xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment